Back to hobbies ... and Life

Finally got a decent photo of our black pug. He's a beut! He has to think about things alot before dealing with them. He has to sniff and sniff and sniff on a spot and think about what it all means. While the boston terrier would just take a quick sniff and head out looking for things to eat or things to chase. The collar he wears has lots of spikes on it ... just to keep Sheba from chewing on it or using it to pull him around.

-- the substitute bus-driver and retired psychobabbler ...

Friday, September 9, 2011

Equity Loan

The car (Toyota Odessy Van) decided that it was repair time.  We figured out why the previous owners had traded it in ... instead of doing maintenance repairs.  We had to take out an equity loan against the house, just to pay for all the repairs.  And even then we didn't do them all.

This is the Villain !!
     1) There was the 105,000 mile service that requires the replacement of the timing belt and the platinum sparkplugs.  Oh, and a belt tensioner device.  This only costs $1,000.  If you wait and take your chances ... when the timing belt breaks, it will cost $3,000 - $4,000 to repair the engine damage.
     2) Then there is the problem with the air conditioner not working.  This is a MAJOR PROBLEM in this climate area.  No one, who has ridden in the van, was happy about driving around with all the windows open in high heat and humidity.  Another $1,000.
     3) The remaining problem - which we haven't fixed, is the torque converter.  You notice it stutter a bit at shifting points.  Either take off pressure or accelerate a bit faster, and you don't notice this.  The worst it can do is quit shifting.  So no additional damage.  To replace it ... another $1,000.
     I took it down to the dealership and we had numbers 1 + 2 repaired ... while I road my bicycle 20 miles home.  I took a nap.  I think I'll go to bed early tonight.  I'll obsess over the finances tomorrow.
 

1 comment:

sleepless said...

I FEEL your pain...we just got out Toyota Corolla out of the shop for 2 thousand dollars....catalytic converter, pvc something,etc...