Back to hobbies ... and Life

Finally got a decent photo of our black pug. He's a beut! He has to think about things alot before dealing with them. He has to sniff and sniff and sniff on a spot and think about what it all means. While the boston terrier would just take a quick sniff and head out looking for things to eat or things to chase. The collar he wears has lots of spikes on it ... just to keep Sheba from chewing on it or using it to pull him around.

-- the substitute bus-driver and retired psychobabbler ...

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Flying South

As usual, there were "technical difficulties" on Monday during the pick ups ... I arrived early at the 2nd appointment ... so they made me an hour late for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th appointments. I was supposed to be at the 5th appointment by 4:00 p.m. I arrived at 5:00 p.m. ... Vitality Foods is vindictive when it comes to late arrivals. They said, "You will have to wait out on the street. We will come get you." I checked after 2 hours and they said again, "You will have to wait." 5 hours after arrival, they put me in a door ... an hour and 10 minutes later (11:10 p.m.) they gave me my paperwork and said I could go. The street was deserted ... no cars, no other trucks ... nothing. Appointment 6 was to have been at 6:00 p.m. ... closes NLT 9:00 p.m. So I picked it up at 6:00 a.m. on Tuesday ... and was 5 hours late for the appointment in Indianapolis. Which they didn't load after I paid them $100 for being late ... because they said the trailer was too full and they wouldn't move anyone else's pallets ... unless I paid them $10 per pallet ... expecting $200 so they could unload past the dry section and bulkhead to get into the frozen section where they would have to put their product.

And the load for next week is canceled ... flash impression ... I got the impression we weren't getting another load.

NOW FOR THE FUN STUFF:
I was fueling when another truck arrived ... a red Vovlo, from Council Bluffs, Iowa. The name of the company was "Old Buzzard Express" and the truck number was OU-812 (for those who don't get it ... pronounce each letter and number seperately) GROAN! But true!

A lady who worked at the highest levels of the U.S. Dept of Education ... wrote an interesting book on the dumbing down of America ... click on the link and go read it for free ...
link

There's a fascinating store called "Rosebud Antiques" in La Grange, IL that I drove past on Monday ... what got my attention was all the antique bicycles out front ...
link2

1 comment:

seth said...

A similar book about American education was written in the 90s by Thomas Sowell. It's called Inside American Education.