Back to hobbies ... and Life

Finally got a decent photo of our black pug. He's a beut! He has to think about things alot before dealing with them. He has to sniff and sniff and sniff on a spot and think about what it all means. While the boston terrier would just take a quick sniff and head out looking for things to eat or things to chase. The collar he wears has lots of spikes on it ... just to keep Sheba from chewing on it or using it to pull him around.

-- the substitute bus-driver and retired psychobabbler ...

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Kalamata Bread

I've been saying for weeks now that I was going to make some Kalamata bread ... Dan asked, "So when are you going to do it?" Well, I finally did it.
The reccipe I used made a lovely 2 lb. loaf in my Sunbeam bread machine that we got a couple of years ago from WalMart. Tastes really wonderful ... Dan & his mom agree!
I bought the pitted kalamata olives at World Market. Some recipes call for chopped rosemary or garlic in the bread ... maybe next time ... Here's the recipe I used:

Ingredients:

  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup brine from olives
  • Warm water, enough to make 1 1/2 cups when combined with brine
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 3 cups bread flour
  • 1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour ( heaping cup of wheat kernals freshly ground to flour in my Vita-Mix)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (I only used a slight teaspoon)
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried leaf basil (fresh chopped would be yummy too)
  • 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1/2 to 2/3 cup finely chopped kalamata olives (about 2 dozen pitted olives)

Preparation:

Put brine in a 2-cup measure; add warm water to make 1 1/2 cups. Put all ingredients except for the olives in the bread machine according to your manufacturer's preferred order (mine is liquids first). Choose wheat setting; add olives at the beep.

After it is done ... a dip is made by putting a generous amount of olive oil in a fry pan, add chopped sun-dried tomatoes, chopped onion, chopped garlic ... and a little Italian Seasoning with salt & pepper to taste ... cooked until the onions are clarified ... pour into a bowl ... and dip chunks of fresh bread in it!!

No comments: