My wife's name was in a drawing and she "won" several free smoothies. We have rather enjoyed trying different ones. Figuring to enjoy some others at home, we purchased a cheap bag of ice (it is stored in the freezer), plopped the Vitamix one the counter and have rather enjoyed making smoothies.
Today we started with a banana, a couple of small pears, and a fresh peach ... topping up the container with ice, a bit of sugar-free raspberry syrup, 2 packets of sweet-n-low, and a cup of water. buzzed it for 30 seconds, poured it into two big cups, and took a small sample to Daniel when I took the remaining ice back to the shop freezer. YUM!!
Yesterday was banana, orange, and half of a big Red Delicious apple, with a dollop of black cherry syrup, along with the remaining ingredients. We need to try pineapple, coconut (coconut milk?), and white chocolate ... with or without a banana. These are tasty and refreshing in this HOT & MUGGY weather.
Yes, we know that a Vitamix costs about $500 ... but quality lasts. And this machine has been with us for a good 12 years now. We've only had the bearing on one container freeze up the blade mechanism, and were able to buy a replacement bearing unit without having to purchase an entire container.
We are thinking about purchasing a GrainMaker Mill from Montana. It will probably outlast us and be something for the kids to fight over when they sort through our junk. :-)
3 comments:
I love the season of smoothies! And yay for winning free ones! Go ahead and buy the grainmaker, it'll keep the focus off the vitamix. =]
You know I'm more of a chocolate person so I make my smoothie with unsweetened almond milk, Jay Robb's chocolate protein powder, 2 tbsp of Barlean's women's chocolate raspberry syrup, and a handful of ice. Mmmmmm, sweet chocolate indulgence and it's actually healthy for me!! =]
That and the kids eat all the fruit before I can get around to blending it up.
I see our problem ... we don't have any kids to eat up the fruit. If we weren't making smoothies, it would just sit there until it rots and the fruit flies take over the house. So making smoothies is really a kind of defensive maneuver ... besides being a cool treat on a hot day in "L.A."
I know nothing about vitamixes, but if you blend spinach or other leafy greens up in some juice befoe adding fruit, you can't taste the vegetable at all.
Post a Comment