

I was stumbling around the net looking for a Hackintosh image that might work to turn a cheap PC laptop into a Mac ... and came across this Kubuntu OS file <--- {click on the colored text to the left and it will take you to the webpage} (OS = Operating System = something that runs your computer ... kinda like Windows XP). I chose Kubuntu 8.04 for a Standard Personal Computer. (the 8.1 is too new and probably has glitches) It took awhile to download ... GA Tech wouldn't let me get it from their server ... UC Santa Barbara took nearly 2 hours (a 692 MB file) ... but the National Weather Service only takes 30 minutes. While still on my Mac, I burned that image to a CD. It doesn't do anything for my Mac, but when I boot up (turn on) my wife's Windows XP computer with this disk sitting in the "cup tray" ... CD Rom drive ... it starts up and lets me run her computer in LINUX Kubuntu operating system (without changing her OS ... she would NOT be happy if I did so ...). I even went surfing on the internet.
My neighbor Daniel said, "It's nice that it boots up and you can surf the web with it ... but will it print???" I guess there must be some kind of problem doing things like that ... what would I know? It's always been very simple to run my Mac. Anyway, I took a USB stick (thumb drive or whatever you want to call it) with some files on it ... including a MS-Office Excel file ... and "hot" plugged it into the computer. It recognized the "transfer drive" ... opened up a window showing all the pictures on it ... and the Excel file. I double-clicked the Excel file ... and it took a minute or two for anything to happen ... because it was decompressing and loading another program (temporarily) off of the CD. When suddenly OpenOffice flashes onto the screen showing this Excel file ... ready to use it or print. Using an Excel file in most any other program usually requires A LOT more clicking, adapting, and converting before it is functional. I clicked on print ... changed it from printing a portrait (vertical) image to a landscape (horizontal) image ... and to only print page 1 ... and it did. I didn't load any printer drivers or do anything else ... it just sort of snatched it from the dormant Windows files (I think).
Whatever ... it worked just fine. I closed OpenOffice. Right-clicked on the transfer drive ... and chose "safely remove." Then it did ... and I did. At which point I clicked on the little icon in the lower left corner and selected "log off" ... it popped up another little window giving me some more options ... I selected "shut down" ... and it proceeded to do so. It reached a point where it slid the "cup holder" (CD Rom tray) open ... said to remove the Kubuntu 8.04.1 disk, close the tray, and press the "enter" key. Whereupon it completely shutdown.
My wife was thrilled that her computer started back up in Windows XP with no apparent glitches (other than the normal Windows stuff) ... and life was back to normal.
Now I just need to find an older Windows computer that someone is discarding ... as they upgrade to a new one this Christmas ... so I can load the Kubuntu OS 8.04.1 onto it and play with it.
3 comments:
Ya, you lost me somewhere in all that...but I am an amateur...thanks for playing....Your mom is back home now.
I say poo on macs. :) But that's just my personal preference. Had enough with them at school!
Gotta agree with Abby--had one for three weeks and that was more than enough for me...but then old people can get stuck in their ways...
Post a Comment