Mix the folllowing together warm...
Liquids: 1-1/4 cup warm water, 3/4 cup sour cream, 3 Tblspns sugar, 3 Tblspns minced dried onion, 2 Tblspns whole dill seed, 1-1/2 Tblspns butter. After mixing (by hand), then plop in one unbeaten egg (room temperature).
Liquids: 1-1/4 cup warm water, 3/4 cup sour cream, 3 Tblspns sugar, 3 Tblspns minced dried onion, 2 Tblspns whole dill seed, 1-1/2 Tblspns butter. After mixing (by hand), then plop in one unbeaten egg (room temperature).
Dry Stuff: 3-1/2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp baking soda, 1-1/2 tsp salt (or just put in 3-1/2 cups of self-rising flour). One package yeast (2 tsp) goes on top.
Set on White Bread, 1-1/2 lb loaf, medium crust ... and started it up.
Oh my gosh ... It looked alive! Some sticky amorphous mass pulsating in the center. My wife said it was good that there was extra moisture, because the onions would absorb a lot ... . I just couldn't stand it ... spatula in hand, I tossed in 2 handfuls of flour (while it was still mixing) ... scraping down the sides with the spatula. Trying to extricate sticky dough from spatula and fingers. I finally just shut the lid and walked away. After a bit it stopped mixing.
I answered emails, looked at blogs ... then the mixer started again. I opened the lid and looked inside ... still way too sticky. I added and worked in 3 more handfuls of flour ... the whole mass was still extremely flexible ... but the outside surface had a little more body to it (wasn't so sticky). At this point I walked away again ... read the newspaper ... took a nap. It didn't overflow the top of the breadpan, didn't do a major collapse in the center, it just came out wonderful with a light flavorful texture (how can a texture be flavorful??) ... anyway, it tasted really good!
"It was good!" my wife says under her breath, with a smile.
Set on White Bread, 1-1/2 lb loaf, medium crust ... and started it up.
Oh my gosh ... It looked alive! Some sticky amorphous mass pulsating in the center. My wife said it was good that there was extra moisture, because the onions would absorb a lot ... . I just couldn't stand it ... spatula in hand, I tossed in 2 handfuls of flour (while it was still mixing) ... scraping down the sides with the spatula. Trying to extricate sticky dough from spatula and fingers. I finally just shut the lid and walked away. After a bit it stopped mixing.
I answered emails, looked at blogs ... then the mixer started again. I opened the lid and looked inside ... still way too sticky. I added and worked in 3 more handfuls of flour ... the whole mass was still extremely flexible ... but the outside surface had a little more body to it (wasn't so sticky). At this point I walked away again ... read the newspaper ... took a nap. It didn't overflow the top of the breadpan, didn't do a major collapse in the center, it just came out wonderful with a light flavorful texture (how can a texture be flavorful??) ... anyway, it tasted really good!
"It was good!" my wife says under her breath, with a smile.
3 comments:
Grandma used to cook kinda like that...a handful of this, a pinch of that.two hand scoops of the other...hey, at least you cook !!
My kids have been asking who the heck Freth is... You are out in the Face world.. They are curious as to how you came to have this "name"..
Cooking? Who said anything about cooking? I just know what dough is supposed to look like in my bread machine.
If it is too dry looking ... it won't rise and you have heavy dense bread.
If it is too wet and sticky ... it rises too high, flows over the top of the pan, down onto the heating elements, burns on the elements, and then collapses down in the middle.
These are things to be avoided!
Post a Comment