We have a Sunbeam breadmaker machine which my wife requested for her birthday a couple of years ago. AND, she stipulated that I had to make the bread ...
So this last week she has been saying that "we" need to make some Red Onion/Pecan Bread. "We" (keemosabeh) means me. If you enlarge the foto, you can see the faded red onion pieces as well as the chopped pecan nut pieces. Instead of visiting the store, I picked up some pecans from the yard and spent half an hour cracking and shelling them. Then I put them in the mechanical food processor and cranked it about 10 times to chop the nuts. This recipe makes a 1.5 lb loaf.
Pecan & Red Onion Bread
1 package yeast (I used 2 tsp)
3 cups bread flour
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 cup plus 1 Tablespoon warm milk
1/4 cup butter (melted)
1/2 cup chopped fresh red onion
3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
combine all ingredients in order given
(reverse that order for a bread machine)
use white bread setting
Well, that is the recipe ... and then there is reality ...
I was a little heavy-handed on both the red onion and the pecans ...
When the bread machine started twirling to mix everything, I noticed a few small balls of "dough" and a lot of granulated dry stuff sitting in the corners and on the sides ... so I grabbed a cup, loaded it with water, and headed for the bread machine ... I added a little water around the edges and pushed everything down and towards the center with my spatula ... while the machine was mixing. I'd add a little more water (sparingly), then push with the spatula ... eventually it all kind of glomped together to make a dough ball, while I was mashing down in the center to spread it out to catch any dry stuff ... until it looked a bit more than dry, not quite wet & sticky, but seemingly holding together. At this point I closed the lid on the bread machine and walked away. (adding too much water makes it rise really high and then fall down in the center) Either it would work or it wouldn't ... And I wouldn't know for sure until the beeper went off at the end.
In this case, it came out really good ... light and fluffy ... very flavorful.
While still warm, we cut the top off and slathered it with butter. YUM!
1 comment:
So be thankful those nuts were in the yard as they are running $5.99 a pound even at Walmart.Nice agreement...you buy her the machine and You make it work when she wants !!!
Hey, are you staying in the Christmas exchange for next year ? I already got you each a present on clearance...I have you next year sir...
Post a Comment